Camacho News Coverage

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

August 29, 2006 Man designs concept for I-45, TxDOT looking at it

Following article was published by Houston's KHOU-TV. Excerpts from this article were also published by The Tom Warner Report.

By Wendell Edwards / 11 News KHOU-TV
Click to watch video

Some neighborhoods think they’ve found a way around Houston’s traffic gridlock, at least on part of I-45

Gonzalo Camacho created a design for the North Freeway.

Instead of expanding the freeway they want to build down below, making more room for traffic.

Living so close to a busy interstate has helped Gonzalo Camacho put his quality of life in perspective.

“We take it for granted living next to a highway. It seems fine and dandy. But if you notice, the dust on the door is black,” Gonzalo Camacho, civil engineer and Woodland Heights resident said.

When he heard TxDOT was studying how to expand the North Freeway Camacho developed his own concept. He designed what he calls the 1-45 Parkway, complete with two underground, double-stacked tunnels.

“I wouldn’t call this a light idea. If you go onto the website you can find a lot of information. It’s probably close to a year of research. And I’m talking 24/7,” said Camacho.

We logged on to his Web site and discovered an extensive plan.

Camacho holds a Masters Degree in civil engineering, with an emphasis in transportation.

“That’s my profession. That’s my challenge. That’s what I love to do. It goes beyond being a profession. Transportation is passion,” he said.

He’s taken that passion and made it personal. And TxDOT has taken notice.

“We are going to take a look at that and study that as one of the options that might be permissible within the confines of the space that we have and perhaps the economy that we will have as well,” said Norm Wiggington, TxDOT spokesman.
Also online

Camacho says at this point, it’s a plan that just can’t be ignored.

“I’m a professional engineer. My ethics is such I need to do this. Set it out and let people know. I will not be disappointed if they don’t do it. I’ve done my job,” said Camacho.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home